Fifty-seven percent of American workers have saved less than $25,000 for retirement, and 28% have saved less than $1,000.
Source: Employee Benefit Research Institute, 2013
Will you outlive your retirement income? Are your financial expectations for the coming year realistic?
Our financial newsletters are designed to provide helpful information on a wide variety of financial topics. Simply click on one of the newsletter topics below to read the article in its entirety.
- HOT TOPIC — Wage Growth: Watching for a Tipping Point
The factors that may be restraining workers’ wages and the economic implications of continued weakness or a sudden surge.
- Is Smart Beta for You?
Unlike traditional index funds, smart-beta funds track indexes that are selected and weighted based on factors other than market capitalization.
- Rules of the Rollover
Rolling funds from an employer’s plan to an IRA enables you to maintain control regardless of your employment situation.
- Chained CPI and Your Taxes
One change made by 2017 tax legislation, a new way of measuring inflation, may have a significant effect on individual taxpayers over the long term.
- Beyond Medicare: What Are Your Options?
A Medigap policy or a Medicare Advantage Plan could help provide more stability for health-care spending during retirement.
- New Tax Breaks for Pass-Through Entities
The new tax law includes several provisions that could benefit business owners, such as the pass-through deduction and write-offs for capital investments.
- HOT TOPIC — Changing Market: Municipal Bonds After Tax Reform
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 changed the playing field for municipal bonds that could affect the supply and demand of these securities.
- A New Look at Old Retirement Savings Guidelines
Need help understanding complicated retirement savings guidelines? Here are four ideas to help simplify some savings strategies.
- Where There’s a Will…
A 2017 survey found that only 42% of U.S. adults had a will or living trust. Here are three basic reasons why everyone should have a will.
- The Cost of Caregiving
About 40 million family caregivers in the U.S. provide unpaid care to another adult. Understand the associated financial, physical, and emotional costs.
- A Steady Strategy
Dollar-cost averaging can be an effective way to accumulate shares without focusing on market movements.
- Time to Hire? Consider the Pros and Costs
Some indicators that it might be time to hire additional employees, and how to weigh the potential benefits in light of the costs.
- HOT TOPIC: Trade Tactics: New Metal Tariffs Reflect Policy Shift
An overview of recent changes in U.S. trade policies, and how they might affect international relations and the U.S. and global economies.
- Dividend Investing: Small Payments Can Boost Returns
Focusing on dividends can be appropriate for almost any investor, especially if they are reinvested to purchase additional shares.
- Pick Your Plastic: Debit or Credit?
Some pros and cons for the use of credit cards versus debit cards for purchases.
- Income for the Long Run
A longevity annuity can bring some stability to a retirement strategy by providing a steady income late in life.
- Monetary Policy Update
How the Federal Reserve’s monetary policies influence interest rates, economic growth, and inflation.
- Guard Against Growing Cybersecurity Threats
A discussion of some specific cybersecurity threats and tips to help small businesses protect their interests from hackers.
- HOT TOPIC: Correction Time: The Market Takes a Hit
A look at some of the factors behind the recent market volatility and why investors should focus on long-term goals.
- Four Financial Numbers You Should Know
Four financial numbers that you should understand (and that could potentially improve your financial situation).
- Phasing Out…or Practice Makes Perfect
Here are some ideas for arranging a phased retirement program, as well as tips for trying a practice run.
- Do You Need an Umbrella?
American society remains litigious — an umbrella insurance policy can provide additional coverage for personal liability.
- Going PublicA discussion on the initial public offering (IPO) process, recent trends, and investment risks.
- Preparing to Withstand the Loss of Key PlayersHow key-person insurance policies can benefit small businesses.
- HOT TOPIC: Business Tax Breaks: Impact on Earnings and the Economy
An overview of the tax changes affecting corporations and pass-through businesses and the potential implications for GDP growth.
- Options for Inherited IRAs
Here is an overview of IRA distribution rules and options for surviving spouses and nonspouse beneficiaries.
- How Long Should You Keep Financial Records?
The beginning of the year is a great time to organize records and discard old documents to make room for new ones.
- Why Hold Money Market Mutual Funds?
Why investors still hold money market mutual funds despite low returns.
- Settling an Estate
Settling an estate can be a difficult and time-consuming job as there are some specific duties that often fall on an executor.
- Disaster Insurance Can Help Your Company Stay Afloat
It’s important to identify the potential risks that threaten your business, create a disaster plan, and obtain adequate insurance.
- HOT TOPIC: Tax Reform: How Will You Be Affected?
On December 22, 2017, President Trump signed a sweeping $1.5 trillion tax-cut package that fundamentally changes the individual and business tax landscape. This Special Report provides an overview of the major corporate tax changes and a more comprehensive outline of the provisions likely to affect individual taxpayers.
- International Investing: Opportunities Overseas?
Investing in emerging markets and developing economies has both risks and opportunities.
- An Introduction to Trusts
A properly constructed trust can serve many purposes for families — and not just for the wealthy.
- Keeping Savings on Track with a Spousal IRA
IRS rules allow a working spouse to contribute to an IRA for a spouse who earns little or no income.
- Illinois Highlights Credit Risk
A look at the tax advantages and credit risks associated with municipal bond investments.
- No Shortage of Liability Risks
Liability insurance can help offset unforeseen legal costs that could consume a business’s profits.
- HOT TOPIC: Junk Jitters: What’s Behind the Exodus from High-Yield Bonds?
High-yield bond funds experienced a recent sell-off. What role do they play in the current investment climate?
- Consider a Roth for Tax-Free Retirement Income
Roth IRA withdrawal and conversion rules and how they differ from other retirement plans.
- Market Measures: Beyond the Dow
A description of the 5 market indexes that are often used as benchmarks to track various categories of investments.
- How a Pension Could Affect Social Security Benefits
The potential impact on Social Security benefits by the Windfall Elimination Provision and the Government Pension Offset.
- Better Late Than Never
Understand the rules and deadlines for the estates of recently deceased taxpayers when seeking portability relief.
- Two Tax-Friendly Retirement Plans for the Self-Employed
Solo 401(k)s and SEP IRAs are relatively simple for small-business owners and self-employed individuals to set up.
- HOT TOPIC: Spanish Showdown, Slow Brexit
Geopolitical tensions, like the Spanish showdown and Brexit, can affect economies and move financial markets.
- PPO or HDHP? Making Health Insurance Choices
The similarities and differences between an HDHP and a PPO plan and contribution limits for health savings accounts.
- FAFSA in the Fall for Lower Stress
New rules enable families to begin the FAFSA earlier using tax returns from two years prior to the academic year.
- Medicare Open Enrollment
The changes Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage plan beneficiaries can make during the annual enrollment periods.
- Required Minimum Distribution Rules
When calculating RMDs for multiple accounts, it’s important to understand which amounts can be combined and which accounts must distribute separate RMDs.
- Stacking Up Tax Breaks for Business Investments
Tax code provisions may allow for larger, immediate deductions for businesses: bonus depreciation and IRC Section 179 expensing.
- HOT TOPIC: After the Storms: The Economic Impact of Harvey and Irma
The potential economic impact of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma on a local and national level.
- Birthday Opportunities
Test your knowledge of the financial benefits and responsibilities related to certain age milestones between 50 and 70½.
- New Life for Your Old Insurance Policy
Consider options that could be more beneficial than surrendering a life insurance policy or letting it lapse.
- The State of State Pensions
A look at some of the challenges facing state pension funds and steps that might help improve the long-term outlook.
- Bracing for Higher Rates
Bond laddering is a time-tested strategy that can help manage interest rate risk.
- Insuring a Home-Based Business
Operate a business out of your residence? Consider an in-home business insurance policy as homeowners insurance coverage may not be sufficient.
- HOT TOPIC: Brick-and-Mortar: The Precarious Fate of Traditional Retail
How current trends in the retail industry could affect consumers, workers, and the broader economy.
- Buying and Selling: Trading Basics
Investors should understand basic terms and types of trades, like bid and ask prices, market order and limit order.
- Insuring Your College Student
Before leaving for college, be sure your student has his/her insurance needs (medical, auto, personal property) addressed.
- New Math for Social Security
In 2017, Americans born in 1955 become eligible to claim Social Security benefits at the earliest claiming age of 62.
- Estate Planning: Life Insurance Options for Leaving a Legacy
A whole life or survivorship life insurance policy can play an important role in a family’s estate plan.
- Keeping Up with Quarterly Taxes
Making accurate quarterly payments on schedule can help taxpayers avoid interest penalties for underpayment to the IRS.
- HOT TOPIC: Low Volatility: Calm Before the Storm?
Several key factors have helped calm the U.S. stock markets, but consider the potential for future volatility.
- Do You Have Enough Life Insurance?
The differences between term life insurance and permanent life insurance and the advantages of an individual policy.
- Deficit Trading: The Import/Export Imbalance
Some facts to help understand the issues behind the trade deficit headlines, and how China factors into the story.
- ETFs or Mutual Funds: What’s the Difference?
The differences between ETFs and mutual funds, with an emphasis on the potential cost and risk factors of ETFs.
- Demographic Dilemma
Some economists believe shifting demographics may be the primary reason GDP growth has been weak versus past recoveries.
- Social Media Marketing Strategies
Social media is a convenient way for a small business to build customer relationships and gain market exposure.
- HOT TOPIC: Volatility Puts Tech Sector in the Spotlight
What can go wrong when investors chase performance and/or have a portfolio overly concentrated in one sector.
- When a Saver Marries a Spender, Every Penny Counts
Guidelines to help facilitate financial discussions between spouses who have different points of view on spending.
- Surprise! It’s Retirement Time
Consider these tips to prepare for the possibility that you might retire earlier than planned.
- Interested in Interest Rates?
With interest rates expected to keep rising here is a short quiz to test one’s interest rate knowledge.
- Anticipating Inflation?
One way to help protect a bond portfolio from a potential spike in inflation is by investing in Treasury inflation-protected securities.
- Offering Life Insurance as an Employee Benefit
Making life insurance part of an employee benefit program could be a cost-effective way to recruit and retain valuable employees.